Sunday 26 August 2012

Showcase Sunday

Showcase Sunday is a weekly meme hosted by Vicky and Books, Biscuits and Tea, giving bloggers the chance to share any books they've received this week.


I haven't participated in Showcase Sunday for a few weeks, as I have been reading some of the books already stacked up at home, but this week I did pick up one reservation from the library:

The Group, by Mary McCarthy


Blurb (from Goodreads): Mary McCarthy's most celebrated novel portrays the lives of eight Vassar graduates, known simply to their classmates as "the group." An eclectic mix of personalities and upbringings, they meet a week after graduation to watch Kay Strong, the first of the group, be married. After the ceremony, the women begin their adult lives--traveling to Europe, tackling the world of nursing and publishing, and finding love and heartbreak in the streets of New York City. Through the years, some of the friends grow apart and some become more entangled in each other's affairs, but all vow not to become like their mothers and fathers. It is only when one of them passes away that they all come back together again to mourn the loss of a friend, a confidante, and most importantly, a member of the group.

Written with the trenchant, sardonic edge that can be attributed only to Mary McCarthy, The Group is a dazzlingly outspoken novel, as well as a captivating look at the social history of America between two world wars.

Recent reviews


I am currently reading The Art of Fielding, which I am really enjoying, although I have also become distracted by The Wire (about five years after everyone else, I know)!

Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this but I really like the sound of the plot, I'm a big fan of books about groups of friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds fantastic! Thank you so much for brining it to my attention. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!