Friday 4 January 2013

Australian Women Writers Challenge 2013

So yesterday, I posted about signing up for the 2013 Translation Challenge, hosted by Ellie at Curiosity Killed the Bookworm, and how until that point I hadn't really seen any challenges around that interested me enough to compel me to sign up.

And then...

I have decided to sign up for a second challenge, as brought to my attention by Mandee: the Australian Women Writers Challenge 2013!

Sign up here!
The aim is to read a number of books written by (surprise!) Australian women, regardless of when they were published. In 2012 I read Losing It by Julia Lawrinson, which served as a wonderful introduction to contemporary Australian YA, and there are a number of other books by Australian women lurking on my TBR list - Holier Than Thou by Laura Buzo, Raw Blue by Kirsty Eagar, Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta (as well as On The Jellicoe Road), and plenty more titles that have caught my eye at some time or another.

I find one of the appeals of Australian YA is seeing the similarities (and differences) between Australian and British culture, and my city's library service is pretty good at bringing in non-US teen fiction for a bit of variety and balance. I'm also interested to do a bit of digging and find some adult fiction, too!

I've gone for the "Stella" challenge level, which is to read at least 4 books written by Australian women, and review at least 3 of them. I'll create a blog tag here so all the reviews are kept together.

Let me know if you're taking part!

6 comments:

  1. Good idea. I'm still banning myself from buying too many books. I'll have to start being strict in February, since I have quite a few pre-orders arriving this month -and I wonder why I'm broke ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I am being strict at the moment too - I'm hoping the library will provide me with some good stuff in the meantime! :)

      Delete
  2. Brilliant challenge! I might have to join too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you do - I'm looking forward to discovering some new authors!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a lot of fun! Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! I can't wait to see which Aussie books you read this year and it's great that your library has some available.

    I like books from the UK for the same reason, I get the slang and my mum is from England, so it always feels familiar :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!