Sunday 6 January 2013

Showcase Sunday: Post-Christmas edition!

Showcase Sunday is hosted by Vicky at Books, Biscuits and Tea.


I hope everyone had a good holiday, and a good Christmas if you celebrated! (Here is my Christmas-in-pictures!)

One of my gifts this year was a Kindle, which I have been having lots of fun with. :) I was always a little bit sceptical about ereaders, mostly because I am a fan of actual books, but I also do a lot of train travelling, and carrying all those books is never much fun! Aside from that, I was looking for another way to read PDF articles, and this seemed like a good way of getting around the problem of having to read them all on my laptop.

I have been really impressed with it so far - the screen is really easy to read, and it's pretty awesome being able to fit so many books into my bag! I've downloaded a few things for it so far:

- Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen (to continue where I left off reading it on my computer; review this week!)

- Grimm's Fairy Tales - Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm

- Persuasion - Jane Austen

- The Complete Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

I also finished reading Thirteen, a short story by Jennifer Gladden, a friend of mine and partner in crime from my year abroad. :)



Aside from my forays into futuristic reading, I also received a copy of Doppler by Erlend Loe, a book I have been excited about for a while now ever since I found out it was (finally) being translated into English from the original Norwegian, and which will also count towards my goal as part of the 2013 Translation Challenge!



Finally, I received Pearl Jam Twenty, a history of the band over the last twenty years, including their roots in Green River and Mother Love Bone. I saw the film in the cinema last year on its one-night-only release, and I'm excited to read this and go through some of the old pictures!

Happy New Year everyone!

4 comments:

  1. A New Kindle! :) I know how you feel - that's exactly how I feel about mine. It comes in handy whenever I'm on the go but I still prefer actual books.

    And I love Pride and Prejudice! I'm looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to follow your reviews as your explore your Kindle. I'm still one of the (increasingly rare) readers who hasn't yet made the jump into e-readers, although hubby just got an iPad, so I suppose I could try reading on that as well. I've heard good things about the Kindle though, and it'll be fun to explore what new titles are available in e-format =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new kindle! I can never go anywhere now without mine! I hope you enjoy all your books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit I'm a bit scared about getting a kindle, but I'm really considering giving it a try.

    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!