Wednesday 14 August 2013

Review: The Body in the Library, Agatha Christie

The Body in the Library

Agatha Christie

Harper Collins, 2002 (1942)

Goodreads
When the Bantrys wake to find the body of a beautiful, young stranger in their library, Dolly Bantry knows there's only one person to call: her old friend Miss Marple.

Who was the young girl? What was she doing in the library? And is there a connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are discovered in an abandoned quarry?

Miss Marple must solve the mystery, before tongues start to wag, and the murderer strikes again.

I think I may have finally jumped on the Miss Marple bandwagon. It's taken a couple of books, but I am starting to appreciate her way of unravelling mysteries based purely on her observations of human nature. For a rather prim elderly lady (or, given the parlance of these books, spinster alert), Miss Marple has no illusions about the depths people will sink to out of desperation, greed, lust, or jealousy. Equally, her more kind-hearted way of pinpointing the personalities of her closest friends is always amusing, much more so for the traits she identifies with a sly twinkle of the eye are so often recognisable now.

The Body in the Library has plenty of twists and a fair few suspects, although not as many red herrings as some of Christie's books. Again, I figured out one element of the crime quite early on, only to find that even with that suspicion floating around my mind, I still didn't put the pieces together. (See every other review I've ever done of a Christie book, ever. I figured out X! But that's okay, says Christie, because you'll never guess Y. Or Z, which is where the real clue to the mystery lies...)

Overall rating: 7/10

Book source: Borrowed from the library.

1 comment:

  1. I like when you think you've worked it all out but then you realise you haven't! I still have to read the AC novel you sent me :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments and cookies always welcome!